The last issue of Standards News raised a lot of questions from members in many different forms, with some for changes to the
Standards, and some against changes to Standards.
In particular the announcement by Australian Standards that they had withdrawn AS2452.3 Ultrasonic thickness measurement raised a large response from AINDT Members, however as indicated in the previous edition of Standards News this was being replaced with the direct adoption of ISO16809.
There has been a lot of interest by AINDT Members both at State and Federal levels to be involved in the continuing development and revising of Standards, which is fantastic result.
The current system we are using where the AINDT with their own Aged Standards working group making recommendations to MT007 is working well. The MT007 NDT Standards Committee will be meeting during the first week of November 2019 and I can provide feedback if people are interested in joining Standards Committees after this meeting.
Currently there are no additional aged Standards other than those which were published in the previous edition of the Standards News. Please find below the previous published list of Australian Standards that have been proposed to be withdrawn and the ISO Standard adopted in its place.
Direct Adoption of the ISO Standards to replace Aged Australian Standards:
- ISO16809 Non-destructive testing – Ultrasonic thickness measurement to be adopted and replace AS2452.3
- ISO17643 Non-destructive testing of welds – Eddy current testing of welds by complex-plane analysis to be adopted and replace AS4544.
- ISO20807 Non-destructive testing of welds – Non-destructive testing Qualification of personnel for limited applications of non destructive testing to be adopted and replace AS4635
- ISO3452 Pt1 to Pt 6 Non-destructive testing – Penetrant testing to be adopted and replace AS2062
- ISO4993 Steel and iron castings – Radiographic testing to be adopted and replace AS3507.1
- ISO9934 Pt1 to Pt3 Non-destructive testing – Magnetic particle testing to be adopted and replace AS1171
- ISO15549 Pt1 Non-destructive testing – Eddy current testing to be adopted and replace AS2084
The review process generally takes a little longer than the adoption process. Australian Standards Project teams review the proposals and may accept or decline.
Another proposal can be submitted if the first proposal is declined. Aged Standards that have been proposed for review are AS2083, AS2452.1, AS2574, AS2824, AS3978, AS4748, and AS1065.
On another matter, may I also remind all AINDT Members that ASTM provide a Standards Tracker System free of charge. Simply apply on-line at www.astm.org in order to receive emails of revised ASTM Standards.
I would like to encourage all members if they have any queries regarding Australian Standards or other Standards to email me, [email protected] and I will gladly try and respond to any queries.
MT007 Standards Chairperson